What's in your Balancer?
Ration Balancers pack a lot of nutrients into a small amount. This is ideal for our "Good Doers". Less calories, more nutrients.
Here are a few things you want to look for in a Ration Balancer to help balance Vermont hay:
1. Low iron. Hay is high in iron, our horses do not need more of it.
2. High levels of minerals that are commonly deficient: Copper, Zinc, Magnesium, and Selenium
3. Sugar and Starch levels if you have a metabolic horse.
4. Amino Acid levels if your horse has a poor top line, hay belly or poor hoof quality.
5. Digestible Energy. Low digestible energy = low calories.
Make sure you look at the complete picture for a balancer. Just because one might be low in iron, doesn't make it the best if it's also low in copper and zinc.
Below is a chart that shows you some of our local options for Ration Balancers. The amounts listed are per pound.